A while ago, God gave me a vision to write a book for single Christian women by a single Christian woman. So often the "single" books are written by married women we feel just can't relate to us anymore. This is my attempt to begin writing this book, a chance to put my thoughts down and hear feedback. To all of us girls waiting for our princes and to the already married queens ruling their kingdoms, I humbly dedicate this "book."

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Interlude 1: Things They Don't Tell You in Fairy Tales


They leave a lot out in fairy tales, don't they? I don't just mean they never seem to eat or go to the bathroom! There a lot of blanks to be filled in. For instance, as proved by "Enchanted," they meet, fall in love, and get married the next day. They skip the whole dating/courting stage. Jasmine gets a ruffian of sorts, but do they ever tell you if she's worried about him looking at other exotic women? Cinderella's prince searches her out, but are there or have there been other girls he chases on the weekends? Snow White's prince kisses her the second time he sees her. How many other girls has he kissed? Prince Eric refuses to find a girl until Ariel finds him. Why won't he leave home? The Beast is angry, aggressive, and selfish. Who's to say he's not abusive and possessive as well? Prince Philip seems to be the only commendable guy, yet he's still a guy. What isn't he telling Aurora?

The fairy tales and movies we grew up with lead us to believe that you find a prince, he fights for you, woos you, defeats the dragon or witch or genie, and then you kiss and live happily ever after. Even though I know it's a fairy tale, even though I've heard people warn me not to expect that, I've still always believed it would come true for me. I'd find a guy who would sweep me off my feet, show me a whole new world, defend me, kiss me, marry me, and then live happily ever after with me. And maybe that will happen. But what they don't tell you is that Prince Charming's got his own baggage. He is not as perfect as we are led to believe. He has a past. There are things that every guy struggles with. And princesses just aren't prepared for that.

Because of this, because we are human, because our future husbands are human, I believe that we need to pray and pray hard for men of God to rise up and take hold of the call on their lives. We can not sit idly by, wishing and waiting for the perfect man. The truth is that he is just not out there. The men that we should be seeking are the ones who are striving to be as much like Christ as possible--the only Perfect Man. I want a man after God's heart, someone who is pressing forward into all that God has for him. I won't settle for anything less. I will wait for the man who has laid down his baggage at the foot of the cross, never to pick it up again. A princess can handle that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, what happens if such a Godly man comes along who's looking for WOMEN of God to "rise up and take hold of the call on their lives" and to "[press] forward into all that God has for [her]?" A "princess," as you say, should cleanse herself before God in such a way that she is worthy of such a prince. We sisters in Christ are not exempt from the need to set down our own baggage at the cross, as we are not perfect beings, either. Our hearts have to be prepared to be a loving, self-giving, supportive, and Godly wife for a man such as you have described here. Women have to be prepared to be the women these men have been praying for, just as much as men need to be prepared to be the men which women pray for. All of us are children of a fallen humanity, and all of us, males and females alike, need to seek Christ and His perfect will in our pursuit of all He has to offer.

I'm interested to hear more of what you have to say on this subject.